Historically, much of the local area was quarried for clay for use in the manufacture of bricks. Rattlechain brick works was initially formed in the northern section of the ‘site’ around 1890 and later expanded to the south with excavations to depths of 20- 25m into the clay. Once the brick works closed, a large impermeable hole was left, hence the formation of the Rattlechain Lagoon.
Rattlechain Lagoon remains a water feature and continues to attract feeding birds. The improvement works we have undertaken have helped prevent the birds ingesting waste as they feed and continue to give pleasure to local people.
The lagoon remains a hazardous waste site, is closed to any further waste and is still covered by an Environmental Permit. The Permit has however been varied so as to acknowledge that no new waste is being introduced to the site. This Permit will be enforced by the Environment Agency for the foreseeable future.
The photographs show the Rattlechain Lagoon before the works in 2013 were undertaken, immediately following the completion of the environmental improvement project and in June 2015.